St Cuthberts Mill are experts in manufacturing high quality artists papers. Our accomplished papermakers carefully make professional mould made papers, using one of the few remaining cylinder mould machines left in the world.

Contact us for more info!

Tel: +44 (0)1749 672015 Email:

Thursday, 15 September 2016

Did you know that a Paper Machine has a 

‘Wet End’ and a ‘Dry End’?

The "wet end" of a paper machine is a general term for parts of the system that involve a slurry of fibres, fillers, and other additives. When looking at a paper machine it is easy to identify the "dry end" where a roll of paper is being formed. The rough dividing line between the wet end and the dry end is often drawn at the wet-press section, the last place in which water is pulled from the wet web of paper. 

The Dry End is the part of the paper machine where the paper is dried, surface sized, calendared and reeled.

*Photos by Martin Poynur*

No comments:

Post a Comment