Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 November 2021

Testimonial: Eugenia Gorbacheva



How Saunders Waterford Helped Eugenia Gorbacheva’s Watercolours Reach New Levels



Eugenia is based in Russia and has taken part in many international exhibitions, with her artworks adorning collections around the world. Her career started as a fashion designer, before dedicating herself solely to watercolour.

Since 2017, Eugenia has been creating inspirational watercolour, encouraging others to paint, and is the face behind the @homelike_art Instagram page. 

Eugenia is a brand ambassador for St Cuthberts Mill in Russia.

What does it mean to you to be an artist? 

"It is happiness from the opportunity to express myself and completely surrender to my favourite activity. It is a feeling of fullness and freedom at the same time. It is an opportunity to show a piece of your soul, my inner world, to other people. It is an immersion into another reality and a journey through different countries and worlds, without having to leave my studio.”


By Eugenia Gorbacheva
on Saunders Waterford 

Eugenia's thoughts on art and looking for her perfect paper 

“Being an artist means to feel the space around you, feel the mood, condition and transfer my impressions to a sheet of paper.”

“I was looking for a paper I could work in tandem with, a paper that would allow me to gain maximum pleasure from the drawing process itself, eliminating difficulties that could appear due to  quality. A few years ago, I was able to find what I was looking so long for. That was Saunders Waterford paper made by St Cuthberts Mill. After it, my paintings (and watercolour for me is specifically painting, not drawing, as is often believed) have reached a new level,completely unattainable before.”

 
“The first thing I would like to note when speaking about the advantages of Saunders Waterford paper is how long it holds moisture. With proper preparation for work, water penetrates the sheet. This gives me several hours of pleasure in the process of creating a picture, in which brushstrokes give a very smooth transition from one tone to another. Depending on the amount of water, watercolour lies on the sheet like a velvet or downy canvas, taking me to another reality, another world, that is being created on the sheet. This paper allows you to draw air, the softness of clouds and background, even the sounds of water...”


“Furthermore, the paper can withstand the tougher invasion of a hard brush with strong pressure, to convey emotional strain and emphasis. This material can easily cope with sharp objects - a knife or a scraper - which are often used by watercolourists to create textured elements.”
By Eugenia Gorbacheva
on Saunders Waterford 


"I expect maximum productivity from working as a brand ambassador, because for me it is an opportunity to continue to hone and develop my technique on my favourite paper. And this is also the most effective way to give feedback and tell my subscribers, people who trust me, about all the nuances of working on this material."

By Eugenia Gorbacheva
on Saunders Waterford 



St Cuthberts Mill is thrilled to be working with Eugenia, to see more of her paintings and online lessons please go to:

taplink.cc/homelike_art
www.instagram.com/homelike_art
www.facebook.com/HomelikeArt

View Eugenia’s process:

No comments:

Post a Comment