Search This Blog

Monday 6 June 2022

Testimonial: Nono Garcia


Nono Garcia is one of our new ambassadors for St Cuthberts Mill and we are so excited to have such a talented artist on board. We spoke to him to find out why he likes Saunders Waterford so much and how using this fine paper has aided him in his work. 

Nono has his studio in Murcia, in the south of Spain, and has spent more than twenty years dedicating himself exclusively to the world of painting. His work has been awarded many times both in Spain and in other European countries. Sincerity emanates from his work, and what he feels about the subject, which can be seen in his work in recent years, where he reaches heights of enormous lyricism. His works collect realities and suggestions, united in the same composition, the urban landscape, or the object is something concrete, such as a crystal glass, which endows it with absolute perfectionism and makes it the point of attraction, surrounding him with an almost invisible environment. Although he also works with acrylic, it is in recent years that watercolour occupies most of his work. 


Nono on Saunders Waterford

"Over the years I have varied my way of working with watercolour using various types of paper, both industrial and handmade. In my latest watercolours, I start from a previously moistened paper that has to support several layers of watercolour without the support suffering. It was in this search that I found Saunders Waterford, a paper that has all the characteristics that the painter needs to work without those problems caused by excess humidity. 


On the other hand, the texture of the fine-grain (CP) paper of 300gsm (140lb), which is the one I use the most, adapts very well to my transparencies, since it has a velvety surface and at the same time resistant. I also like being able to find it in two different types of white, which I use interchangeably to give the work more or less warmth depending on my needs. I have always thought that of the materials we use in watercolour, a good paper is the most important, a support that respects each brushstroke of the pictorial work and that is an extension of your work, that forms part of it.


Each of my watercolours requires a good number of hours of study and work, I have to be very comfortable with the materials I use and Saunders Waterford only gives me comfort, it also gives me quality and above all, security in a perfect finish. It is an enormous privilege for me to be an ambassador for St Cuthberts Mill, I feel protected by the brand that I have been using for years. 


Being accompanied by the best materials is something that drives me and gives me the energy to keep going. I believe that the painter must be in continuous evolution and not accommodate, as artists we have the obligation to be in continuous learning and try to go further. When I see my finished works I always believe that I can improve, honestly, I believe that my best works on this paper are yet to come. With good tools, it is easier to work, and I have them."


Nono's featured artist page

Nono's Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment