Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 August 2024

Artist Interview: Lindy Norton

 


The Crossing by Lindy Norton
Tetrapack print on Somerset Satin
Lindy Norton received a Highly Commended prize with her Tetrapak Etching print called THE CROSSING at the ‘Works on Paper’ exhibition held at the Gallery at Green & Stone earlier in the year. She has been practicing as a printmaker since 1985.

We spoke to Lindy to about the eeriness she achieves in her work, along with what Tetrapack printmaking involves.

The print has a sense of unease as the man is on the crossing, is this an intentional part of the composition?

The unease you suggest in this print is intentional. I like my images to have a narrative, often unsaid and not entirely obvious. I hoped to get some sort of tension in this image, one man turning to look at the other who is engrossed in his phone. It could merely be one moment between two strangers or maybe friends…one is clearly pre-occupied!

The Crossing by Lindy Norton
Etching on Somerset Satin

Can you tell us a little about yourself and your practice?

I am primarily a printmaker although I do paint. I love to draw. Etching is an extension of drawing for me and it is a medium that allows me to explore mark-making. Etching yields the tones and blacks that are elusive in pencil drawing…and so it’s my go to subject for atmospheric prints. I love interiors, empty rooms, shadows, lace curtains…

The people on crossings are a new departure for me. It came about from a holiday apartment last summer in Kefalonia. We were on the third floor and I could look down on people returning from the beach, walking dogs etc. with their lovely long shadows.

I teach printmaking part-time as well as pursuing my own practice. 


Can you explain what Tetrapak etching is, and what it involves? How many prints can you achieve in an edition, with this type of etching plate?

Tetrapak etching is similar to drypoint etching. The only difference is I am using the inside of oat milk cartons. The silver layer is peeled off to achieve the blacks and the line are achieved by scoring with a needle. You can only print about 8 prints before the Tetrapak starts to deteriorate.

What do you look for in a paper to achieve the best acceptance of ink?

I like to print on a heavy (250gsm) soft paper to achieve the best results. I soak this for about 10 minutes before printing. I like a soft paper as it yields into the etched line as opposed to a paper that has more size in it and is harder. 


Dad's Chair by Lindy Norton
Etching on Somerset Satin
Windows, hallways, stairways, and alleyways are recurring subjects in your drawings, paintings, and prints. What draws you to these particular architectural elements, and do they hold specific symbolic meanings or associations in your work?

I am drawn to windows, hallways, stairways…they are re-occurring subjects for me. It feels instinctive. It all began when my parents lived next door to an abandoned workhouse. I was at art college and would go into this building that was mostly boarded up, it was dark and unnerving. But the atmosphere was incredible, and I could sense the history and lives that had dwelt within the walls of the building. It was exciting but un-nerving…. so, I aimed to capture the sense of unease within a series of etchings. I wanted to capture that sense of human presence without stating the obvious and including the figure. That fascination for empty rooms and houses has remained with me.

Looking ahead, are there specific themes or projects you are excited to explore in the future, or new mediums you are considering incorporating into your artistic practice?

Blue's New Coat by Lindy Norton
Hand coloured etching on Somerset Satin
I am beginning to explore different subjects alongside the rooms etc. I love the elevated position. Looking down on people, dogs, animals…with long shadows. People watching, I guess. I am watching them but they are unaware of me so that puts me at an advantage. I am not sure where this is going. I love observational drawing. Narrative is something that I love to explore…meanings within images that leave the viewer pondering.


To see more of Lindy Norton’s work visit:

www.lindynortonillustration.com

www.instagram.com/lindy.norton/

 

Lindy Norton won the Highly Commended prize at the Gallery at Green & Stone ‘Works on Paper’ Exhibition 2024: 

https://www.thegalleryatgreenandstone.com/works-on-paper-online-catalogue

Artworks all on Paper: Somerset⁠ Satin White 300gsm. To find out more about the Somerset range, visit our website.



No comments:

Post a Comment