Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 October 2024

Artist Interview: Curtis Holder

 


Curtis Holder tells us more about his work, after winning the Dry Based Medium prize at the ‘Works on paper’ exhibition at the Gallery at Green & Stone, with his drawing HIRSUTE III earlier this year. Curtis is a multi-award winning artist, including The Tom Coates Memorial Prize at this year’s Pastel Society Annual Exhibition, winning the Sky Portrait Artist of the Year in 2020, and a previous winner of the St Cuthberts Mill award at Wells Art Contemporary held in Wells Cathedral in 2022.


Can you tell us a little about yourself and your practice?

The focus of my practice is to use line to investigate motivations, connections and conversations through the passage of time. I work primarily in the medium of coloured and graphite pencils to create large-scale portraits and figurative works on paper.

Hirsute III by Curtis Holder

Ultimately my work aims to present an interpretation of the thoughts and feelings of others, as well as my own. I use my pencils to pose and answer difficult questions, in the hope of finding a resolution. My subjects sometimes sit uncomfortably within large amounts of negative space. These compositions enable me to feel free and to take up space in a way that I, and some of my subjects, feel unable to do in everyday life. The drawings document the thoughts and conversations of individuals who would otherwise be unlikely to give themselves room or permission to share this part of themselves.

My drawings emerge in a wayward series of febrile lines, which I layer to reveal a subject’s form, movement and emotional intent. Even if the marks initially appear erratic, when resolved, the drawings convey a stillness and calm. This contradiction leads the viewer, myself included, back to the work time and time again to unravel the threads that lead back to the core of the conversation.


Your work is large and involves multiple pencil layers, how do you start a piece like this, are there multiple sketches prior to starting?


I prefer to start every drawing with a conversation while I’m sketching the subject. It’s an opportunity to glimpse into their mind and make a personal connection. My goal is always to translate their emotions and the mood of our encounter onto paper, along with my own feelings and observations. I need to understand them a little, even if it’s fleeting, and I start to achieve this through quick preparatory drawings while secretly searching for more information.

From the initial conversation and sketches I will get a sense of how I want the work to feel, so it’s an emotionally driven process. Whatever feeling I have settled on influences all the key decisions: the composition, the colours and the intensity of the marks. I sketch out ideas for the composition, and when that’s decided I will get the model in position to set about working on the main piece.  Firstly, I do an underdrawing, more often than not using red pencil. The underdrawing is a bit like an architect’s plans - the framework for the final piece. I then build up the features and contours of the sitter’s face and body using complex layers of colour, incorporating spontaneous lines to emphasise form or emotion. To finish I add more spontaneous lines to add structure and final detail which pulls the final piece together.

Dame Judy Dench by Curtis Holder

Your artistic process involves intimate conversations with the people you draw, and your drawings are described as “dynamically tender”, “capturing fleeting gestures and emotions with sensitivity.” How do these personal interactions influence the direction and narrative of your artwork, and do you find that your subjects actively contribute to the creation of their portraits?

Whenever possible I work from life. Conversation is the starting point of all my work, well before I put pencil to paper. The dialogue I enter into with my subjects is a point of connection where we can share our experiences and emotions. It’s where we begin to understand our individual motivations, differences and similarities. It’s the point where, together, we begin to make the work. Mark making is the conduit through which I try to translate and extend that spoken language into something more complex. I hope to present deeper layers of emotion in the work, as well as recording the passage of time we spend together through the multilayered lines of pencil.


You work in graphite and coloured pencils, what qualities do you look for in your paper?

Drawing from Brotherhood 
by Curtis Holder
I prefer paper with some texture and I use high-oil content coloured pencils. I like the idea of a deliberate struggle and dance between pencil and paper. It creates a spontaneous and immediate connection, encouraging unpredictable marks which contribute to the final work.

Looking ahead, are there upcoming projects, exhibitions, or themes you are excited to explore in your future work?

I’m currently artist-in-residence at Leeds Art Gallery where I’m in the process of creating new work for the gallery’s permanent collection, responding to the theme of decolonisation. The residency is part of the UAL (University of the Arts London) Decolonising Arts Institute’s 20/20 programme, which is supporting 20 artists to take up residencies in 20 public art collections, galleries and museums across the UK. I feel incredibly fortunate to be working with the gallery and contributing to this vital conversation around the representation of minority communities in our museums and galleries. 


Curtis Holder receiving his award from Alan Walker,
St Cuthberts Mill Chairman, and Heston Baldwin,
from Gallery Green & Stone
To see more of Curtis Holder’s work visit:
www.curtisholder.co.uk 
www.instagram.com/curtisartist


Curtis Holder won the Best Dry Based Medium at the Gallery at Green & Stone ‘Works on Paper’ Exhibition 2024:
https://www.thegalleryatgreenandstone.com/works-on-paper-online-catalogue










No comments:

Post a Comment