Search This Blog

Tuesday, 1 September 2026

Artist Interview: Victoria Ford on Somerset

 


Based in rural Norfolk, UK, Victoria Ford creates beautifully detailed lino prints inspired by the wildlife and countryside around her. Her journey into printmaking began just four years ago, after seeing a short TV feature on lino printing, and she’s been hooked ever since.

Working largely by hand, Victoria builds her images through layers of sketches and photographs before carefully carving every detail into the lino. From individual feathers to the finest hairs, her love of detail is at the heart of her work.

Victoria shares how she found her medium, where her inspiration comes from, why she loves working on a large scale, and on Somerset® paper, and the joy of revealing that first print.


Heron by Victoria Ford on Somerset Satin 250gsm

How did your journey into printmaking begin, and what first drew you to the medium?

I began printmaking about four years ago working in a fairly traditional wood engraving style. I’ve always been an artist, working mainly in pencil at the time, but never really felt that that was a medium for me. Then I saw a 10 minute piece on a TV program showing Lino printing, it reminded me of all the black and white images I loved from old nature books, fascinated I bought some equipment and was hooked from the very first print reveal. That moment you peel the paper off the Lino will always be magical.

Kingfisher and Perch by Victoria Ford on Somerset Satin 250gsm

You’re inspired by the landscapes and wildlife around you. Can you talk us through the process of turning those observations and sketches into finished prints?

I live in rural Norfolk, so I’m surrounded by beautiful countryside and wildlife, a constant source of inspiration. I’m constantly photographing things that inspire, plus I use a trail camera to capture my local wildlife that features in all my work.

I normally have a pretty fixed image in my head to start with and keep piecing photos together till I see what’s in my head emerge. Lots of layers of sketches are built up first before it even goes onto the Lino. Then once onto the Lino, the fun of carving the image begins.

Kingfisher and Perch, by Victoria Ford on Somerest Satin 250gsm

Your large-scale linocuts are incredibly detailed and atmospheric. How do you approach planning and creating works on such a scale?

I love working on a large scale. I feel it’s the best way to do justice to some subjects. Each hair or feather is so important. I’ve tried to go smaller, but I just can’t resist high levels of detail in my work. I’d love to go bigger one day, but space is a problem for me, unfortunately.

River View by Victoria Ford on Somerset Satin 250gsm

What do you enjoy about working with Somerset paper for your prints, and how does it complement your printmaking style and techniques?

For a long time, I printed on thinner, lighter papers as all my pieces are hand pressed (no press, just a glass baren and wooden spoon) and never thought I’d be able to hand-print onto heavyweight paper. I tried Somerset® Satin 250gsm, and I’ve never looked back. A beautiful, crisp white paper that picks up even the finest of details on my prints.

Links 

To see more of Victoria Ford’s work, visit her links: 

victoriafordart.etsy.com

www.instagram.com/victoriafordartist/

To find out more about our Somerset® range, visit our website








No comments:

Post a Comment