Search This Blog

Wednesday 13 December 2023

Linda Edwards’ Golden Creations on Saunders Waterford

 


Linda Edwards, an English artist, creates captivating paintings that evoke the serenity and beauty of paradise gardens.

Linda’s work is characterised by delicate brushwork and a rich colour palette. She frequently incorporates gold leaf into her paintings, which adds a touch of opulence and elegance; along with her choice of paper, Saunders Waterford.







‘The Turning of the Sun’ by Linda Edwards on Saunders Waterford


What was the inspiration for your beautiful and unique artworks?

Medieval and ancient art are a great inspiration. You will find the influence of Indian and Persian art in my work, as well as Islamic art, the European tradition of illuminated manuscripts, Renaissance colours, Italian altarpieces and Egyptian mosaics. 
I seek to celebrate the natural world. Everything is connected. I look to sacred geometry, exploring the amazing connections that you see in natural patterns, in circles and pentagons, spirals and triangles, to portray connections and symmetry.
To draw these elements together is a way to draw people together, in the same way as music can forge relationships throughout the world and help us to understand each other better.

‘Sunflight’ by Linda Edwards on Saunders Waterford


How long have you been using Saunders Waterford, and what are the qualities of the paper that you enjoy?

I used to be an illustrator and I tried all kinds of watercolour paper before I found Saunders Waterford. I’ve been using it now for about 30 years, First in book illustrations and now for my paintings!

I mainly use the heaviest paper in a CP (NOT) finish in 638gsm (300lb) which is very thick and doesn’t need stretching. It is really beautiful paper; a lovely texture and very robust – you can do virtually anything to it and it will not tear or degrade at all. I layer many washes, use ink and sharp pencils, sponge out areas of colour - and it will always give a perfect finish. 
‘Summer Acorns’ by Linda Edwards on Saunders Waterford


Your use of 24 karat gold leaf is very special, what is it like to use?

It’s rather wonderful, if expensive! And quite addictive! 

I tend to mostly use transfer gold which comes with a backing paper and is easier to use than the loose leaf. I make the watercolour painting first and then lay the gold around the painting. This can take a long time if the painting is intricate. I paint a layer of bole (a reddish-brown clay pigment) where I want the gold to go. This seals the paper and makes a good base. Then the gold is applied, I use a mordant, and I once it has cured draw into the gold with a very hard, sharp pencil. The gold transforms the painting - it is always very exciting!



Please tell us what we can expect to see at your exhibition this month?

The Turning of the Sun: 
Paintings with gold leaf to light the winter solstice. Mrs Jones Gallery, Shrewsbury, 2-24 December

As we head towards the darkest days of the year I reflect upon the changing light. I am searching for calm in the world - that we might hope to find in an enclosed garden or in a forest. In this collection my paintings celebrate the natural world and the animals and birds that exist in a finely balanced harmony. 

In my keynote painting, called The Turning of the Sun I use handmade paints made by my friend Louise Ann Wright who grows indigo and makes her own paints from this and other pigments. You will see the sun and moon in balance in the cosmos, and the dance of creatures around the sun that gives life to us all.

Exploring the use of gold leaf and watercolour on paper I carry on a tradition of using gold in art that is centuries old. The gold will catch the faintest glimmer of light and glow with a warmth that is both comforting and energising.

There is a word I have just discovered, ‘apricity’. It means the warmth of the sun on a winter’s day. This is what I hope to bring to you with these paintings.

Links

To find out more about Linda Edwards work visit her links:


Learn more about the Saunders Waterford range on our website.
 











 








No comments:

Post a Comment