Search This Blog

Friday 1 December 2023

Testimonial: Miguel Angel Lacal Garcia on Saunders Waterford

 



Miguel Angel Lacal García is a Spanish multidisciplinary artist with more than 24 years working in the art world, both as an illustrator and as part of the Art in Animated Films team.

Miguel likes to work with Saunders Waterford 300gsm (140lb) 100% cotton paper, in a Rough texture, although for finer paintings he prefers the smooth HP paper.



How long have you been using Saunders Waterford and how did you discover it?

When I started painting in watercolour, about 11 years ago, I only made small marks on papers that were not the most suitable for my technique and I realised that something was wrong. Precisely at that time, it was when I discovered one of my favourite painters, Joseph Zbukvic, and saw that he used Saunders Waterford 300gsm paper; it was then that I became interested in making larger paintings using this paper where I noticed a huge and obvious difference. Currently, Saunders Waterford has become an ally that has accompanied me in my painting career since then.

El Realejo, Granada by Miguel Angel Lacal García

What are the qualities of Saunders Waterford that you enjoy? 

Overall, it is an excellent paper. If I had to say what I like the most, it would be how the colours blend on its surface and how this paper keeps the colours bright.  It is the best paper I have ever tried (and I can assure you that I have tried many).

Sunset Seascape by Miguel Angel Lacal García

Which painting techniques do you use on Saunders Waterford?

I already have my watercolour technique very refined, and I normally make my paintings in two washes; the first wash is wet on wet and once dry, I move on to the second wash. Once finished, I proceed with the final dry touches to highlight some parts and add details.

Playa de la Mata, Torrevieja, Alicante by Miguel Angel Lacal García

Follow these links to find out more about Miguel Angel Lacal Garcia’s work:

Instagram: www.instagram.com/artlacal

Facebook: www.facebook.com/miguelangel.lacalgarcia

Website: www.artlacal.com

Watercolour classes: www.blurone.es/curso/paisaje-urbano-del-natural-en-acuarela


To learn more about the Saunders Waterford range visit our website:
https://www.stcuthbertsmill.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment